Sunday, January 3, 2010

Happy New Year - 2010

Christmas went by fast! I swear, the older I get, the faster time flies! Many times, when I was growing up, I heard my elders make that comment. I didn't understand it then, as sometimes it seemed to me that time stood still, like when waiting for Santa to bring gifts, or anticipating a special event. The best thing this Christmas was the arrival December 21st, of Hurley Miranda, my eighth great grand child, the third little boy blessing for Lindsay and Lewis. Hurley is a sweet baby, and his big brothers Cohen and Sandler adore him already.


The past few weeks, I've heard from many family members and friends who live near and as far away as England and Norway, Maine, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Texas, Virginia,, Wyoming, California and Hawaii. The various pictures, phone calls and emails are much appreciated. I'm so blessed with family and friends!


In the midst of the holdiay warm feelings, I feel the need to get on my soap box! Jane Ann Morrison's column of Dec. 31st, "The trick will be when politicians start acting ethically willfully". She refers to the various County Commissioners who were convicted of taking bribes, and sent to prison for awhile. She failed to mention Fran Deane, a former County Recorder (who is soon to be sentenced for selling copies of county records for personal gain), but she does mentions other unethical behaviors by various politicians as well, and how the recent State Ethics Committee is ineffective in preventing or punishing unethical behavior. (As I understnd it, the law hasn't provided power to do more than punish miscreants with a fine.)


All that brings to mind when I received a letter from the Board of County Commissioners, asking if I would accept an appointment to be a member of the soon to be formed Clark County Ethical Standards Committee. I'm not sure of the date; but I believe it was in the mid 1980's, while I was in my third term as Clark County Recorder. My first thought was that I don't believe you can legislate morals; but I accepted the appointment and served on the committee for several years. Attorney Bill Hammer, was appointed Chairman, another attorney, Jeffrey Burr and I (the one elected official) were permanent members. Other appointed members changed over the years, a retired public employee, a union leader, and a public citizen, who happened to be employed in gaming. One member ran for State Senate, and had to be replaced when he won his election.

We had regularly scheduled meetings, in my office conference room, after 5 PM, and if I recall correctly, it was the county manger who appointed an employee from his staff to take minutes. We diligently worked to frame the first official ethical standards for Clark County. When people came before us, asking for ethical advice, we discussed their problem and gave our opinion. There was no penalty, if they failed to follow our advice, but their actions could be suspect. If it appeared that there could be something unethical in what they desired to do, our recommendation was to not do it. For example, an employee in one of the County offices wanted to develop a business to gather and compile specific information from that office, as a service to sell to the public. She would be taking advantage of her position as a deputy in that office, and we advised against it. She didn't start that business. With increasing automation, by various county offices, it eventually became a moot question. But that gives an idea of our duties. There have been changes to Nevada laws on ethics since those days. I still believe people are either moral and ethical or they aren't. Recently, we have been fooled by politions who gave the appearance of having integrity, and their behavior has proven otherwise. What a sad commentary on our current state and federal government leadership!


That's enough of my soap box disertation for now. I sincerely hope there will be some good and positive changes for the better, beginning right now in this new year, and in the coming elections!

2 comments:

  1. Very well said. I think you retired from public office too soon, but then again, you do make a great retired grandma & great grandma. Ethics and politics, there's a combination!!

    ReplyDelete