When I was growing up, there were ice cream parlors and drug stores with a soda fountain. We could get plain or flavored cokes, (cherry, chocolate, lemon) a malted milk, a banana split, an ice cream sundae or various flavored sodas. My preference was a chocolate soda. Ice cream was put in a tall glass along with flavored syrup of one's choice, soda water was dispensed from a spigot on the fountain, and after it foamed up over the top of the glass another scoop of ice cream was added. Something like a root beer float (which you can still get at an A & W or make at home). Sometimes they even served light sandwiches, coffee and tea. There were a couple of ice cream parlors in La Crosse, the one I liked best had lots of green marble, booths with green marble tables with fancy lamps at one end of each booth, also little ice cream tables and chairs. Their own variety of chocolate candy was artfully shown in a display case, and could be purchased one piece or boxed to order.
Nowadays, drug stores like CVS, Walgreens, etc. are more like convenience stores, or pharmacies are located in grocery stores; not a soda fountain in sight. There was a Swensons on Maryland Parkway that we used to frequent when I lived on Dorothy St., near UNLV, all the grandkids liked to go there. The old MGM/Bally's used to have a Swenson's that was like the old ice cream parlors of my memory, with all the amenities that I remember from my childhood. When cousins Betty and Carol used to come to visit every year, we made it a point to have lunch at Swensons at least once. Since then, JoAnn and I discovered a small Swensons, with a soda fountain, in the shopping center at the corner of Windmill and Pecos. We went there a few times for a soda, however that Swensons has been gone a few years now too.
Where have the ice cream parlors and drug stores with soda fountains gone? We've lost a wonderful piece of our past culture when they disappeared.
Sunday, August 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It's not that I'd frequent the place often, it's just knowing they're available that matters now, I guess.
ReplyDeleteI remember going to Swenson's with you and how wonderful their hot fudge sundaes were with that triangle cookie stuck in the top. I remember going to Woolsworth's downtown and getting a hot fudge sundae. Hmmm...we're going to have to look around for an old fashioned ice cream place. PS-Yay! I can comment now!
ReplyDeleteI think the soda fountains were taken away by the soda-jerks who left.. :) I do remember the soda fountains and the Swenson's.
ReplyDelete