Since Steve proposed to Andrea on a Ferris Wheel, I was remindend of the book my friend JoAnn Thomas gave me for Christmas in 1986. It is entitled "The Ferris Wheel" and tells the story of her Great, Great, Great uncle, George Washington Gale Ferris, Jr. Mr. Ferris was a 33 year old engineer (a bridge and tunnel builder) at that time. As a boy, he lived on a ranch in Carson Valley, in western Nevada.
The Eiffel Tower was the marvel at the Paris Exposition of 1889, and the Ferris Wheel became the main attraction at the Chicago Worlds Fair of 1893. There is much more to this interesting story, which includes historical pictures. If anyone is interested, you are welcome to read this informative little book.
Monday, July 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ah ha! I knew I remembered this info about the Chicago's World Fair and the invention of the Ferris Wheel.....read it one or two books about stories of Chicago.
ReplyDeleteThat is very cool and interesting! I love the things you find and remember!
ReplyDeleteI'm with Andrea--I love how good you are at remembering stuff like this. I have a hard enough time remembering if I used shampoo in the shower this morning.
ReplyDelete